Sunday, July 12, 2009

No Matter What Age, Size or Shape You Are . .

You can get started with a fitness journey at any time. The Boot Camp classes I started a few months ago are going well and I see that people are excited about having a group to exercise with. Exercise can be hard when you go it alone and when self-motivation is lacking; you may need that kick in the butt to get you going.
My Boot Camp classes are non-military, so the thoughts of crawling on the ground, climbing ropes and swinging from monkey bars does not occur in my venue, but there are challenges that include strength, muscular and cardiovascular endurance. It is a balanced workout that combines a variety of fitness components. It challenges ALL fitness levels physically and mentally while being fun with a break from the normal routine. I start with a group warm up and then break into stations where the duration of exercise is 45 seconds to 1 minute. The exercises include squats with overhead press, running an agility ladder, pushups, dips, jumping cones and jump rope to name a few. We then come back together for group strength, abdominal work, cool down and stretch. I created the class to be comprehensive and inclusive for everyone.
The classes consist of individuals of all ages, sizes, shapes and fitness levels. When I first started to promote the class, some skeptics automatically stated, "That sounds too hard." I did not have a chance to explain how the class would be structured, however, there was a pre-conceived thought that "boot camp" equals hard. Is exercise easy?? Anyone?? No matter what the format of the class, it is what you make it. Now, anyone can come into the class and not challenge themselves, therefore, it will be easy. The individuals that started with me and are still with me have a goal of better health and fitness. That is what they are working toward as a collective group. The atmosphere is charged with camaraderie while being social and allowing for networking at the same time.
Comments from the first program are:
"I like the stations and meeting new people with the same goal."
"I would like to attend another session with more frequency."
"I like the varied activities with clear instructions. It is a challenging class, but not frustrating. I get positive feedback in a respectful, non-threatening, sensitive environment."
If you have not had a chance to take that simple step toward your fitness journey, are you ready? Come join a Simply Fitness Boot Camp class and take that step. See www.simply-fitness.net for details.

1 comment:

l.jackson said...

Well, I'm looking forward to trying it out to get back on track!