Saturday, October 11, 2008

What Motivates Me to Exercise?

As a personal trainer, I think it is very important to represent fitness and its positive way of life. I allow my clients and potential clients to know that I live the same way that I advise them to live. This is evident in the physique I maintain and test results received from annual medical exams, consequently from smart food choices and exercise. The only supplement I take is a vitamin, so everything is maintained naturally. Would you believe in a fitness professional to get results for you if they can not get results for themselves?
More importantly, optimal health is a primary goal. There is a plethora of benefits for exercise and clean eating that include emotional, social, physical and medical dimensions. This list includes the reduction of cardiovascular disease and hypertension; prevention of diabetes; lowering of blood triglycerides, cholesterol and incidence of cancer; reduced body composition and stress; an increase in a positive mood and self-esteem and improved musculoskeletal health. This is by no means an exhaustive list.
Currently, I have a family health history cloud that hangs over me. All of my immediate family members have hypertension. In addition, non-insulin diabetes and heart issues exist, however, no one is obese. One of my dear aunts passed away from breast cancer and I have two first cousins that survived the disease. So, I have a few health concerns in my genes and it definitely keeps me focused on my cardiovascular exercise, strength training and healthy eating.
The motivation to maintain good health has turned into more of a lifestyle. My professional goal is to allow all those that I come in contact with to understand why exercise and healthy food choices should be a part of their life, as well.

No comments: