Saturday, May 3, 2014

Breast Cancer and the African American Woman

One of my goals when I became a trainer was to be a leader in fitness.  I have touched many lives and will continue as long as I am able.  One community that is important for me to reach is one of which I belong, the female African American community.  It is so important for me to change anyone's life with fitness or to share information to save a life or enhance a life.  I also like to lead by example and through the 14 years of being a personal trainer and fitness instructor, I always strive to help anyone no matter the race, religion, gender or fitness level. Being a role model is also important so that people can understand the importance of fitness and nutrition and how it impacts your health.  I have often discussed how hypertension is prevalent in my own immediate family. Due to my exercise and eating habits, I know I have avoided it.  Being an African American woman, it is even more important to get my point across to those that face health related risks prevalent in my community.  Hypertension and diabetes and two primary risks, but it does not have to be the case with prevention and regular health checks.
 According to the American Cancer Society, white women are more likely to develop breast cancer; however, African American women are more likely to die from the disease.  A recent study funded by Georgetown University in 2013 shows that a lifetime of vigorous exercise can help protect African American women against aggressive breast cancer.  The study showed that African American women who averaged 3 or more hours per week of brisk exercise throughout their lives had a 47% lower chance of developing estrogen receptor breast cancer compared to an average of 1 hour per week. Estrogen receptor breast cancer is a more aggressive form of the disease, which is more prevalent in African American women.
 In summary, it is important for everyone to exercise for health, but for any type of disease that strikes a community disproportionately, that community should be aware and work on prevention.  So whether you are an African American woman, have a mother, sister, wife, aunt, cousin or girlfriend that is African American, remember 3 hours a week of vigorous exercise is what you need along with making healthy food choices to make a change in your life.

No comments: