Monday, February 21, 2011

A Glimpse Inside My Kitchen


I often get questions and assumptions about what I eat and do to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Ok, so I exercise 4-5 times a week which includes cardiovascular exercise, strength and yoga and I try to get at least 6.5 to 7 hours of sleep at night. Most importantly, it is what I eat that has made a huge difference in my health on the inside to the outside. You may have heard quotes such as, "You are what you eat." -Savarin or "Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food." -Hippocrates. I whole-heartedly believe these quotes and do my best to communicate it in various ways.

With this post, I decided to open a window into my kitchen to share with you some of the items I eat on a consistent basis. The pictures are actual items from my cabinets and refrigerator. If you have read over some of my blog entries, I always talk about how important it is to eat whole, natural foods and avoid anything processed. Processed foods primary ingredients are enriched flour, various sugar(s) and any other ingredients that you may not be able to pronounce. I limit those items in addition to white rice and potatoes. Instead I aim for green leafy and colorful vegetables, berries and other fruits, nuts, whole grains, beans, legumes, yams, primarily fish and a sparing amount of chicken and turkey breasts. I do not eat beef, pork and dairy due to allergies and intolerance. I eat soy yogurt and use soy milk as a substitute. In addition, I use a lot of fresh garlic, onion, and cilantro and many dried spices to add flavor to my food such as cinnamon on my toast or coriander and cumin in my grain dishes.

For breakfast, I found a cereal that I love. In the first picture you see Nature's Path Organic Pumpkin Flax Plus Granola. It has a Omega-3 fatty acids from the pumpkin and flax which is good for the heart. As an alternative, I opt for a multi-grain hot cereal from Country Choice. This has many grains which include rye, barley, oats and wheat. Good old fashioned oatmeal works, as well. I also eat Arnold's whole wheat sandwich rounds toasted with fruit. Finally, when I want to splurge I will have Hodgson Mill's whole wheat pancakes. Yes, with real syrup. I exercise heavily, so every once in a while, I treat myself.


The vegetables in my kitchen at the time were a red pepper, a red onion, canned tomatoes, celery, carrots and edamames. Eating vegetables throughout the day are great snack options. Also in my fridge were baked yams, sauteed spinach with garlic and lots of frozen veges.


The fruits in my kitchen were mangoes, apples, frozen blueberries and strawberries. I opt for frozen berries in my smoothies because fresh ones can spoil if you do not eat them quickly. It is also best to get fruit that is "just picked" and frozen because the nutrients are locked in and not lost in travel from a far destination to your local supermarket, especially when they are not in season. Try to buy from your local farmers when they open.


Pictured here are a choice of grain, bean and legume. I love quinoa because it is a nutrient dense grain that is a complete protein, which means it includes all nine amino acids the body needs. I also had black beans in my cabinet and lentils. I will be making lentil chili with the canned tomatoes in the next day or two. I also have brown rice, millet and amaranth in the cabinets. All great options for whole grains.

Pictured to the left are raw walnuts, raw almonds and extra virgin olive oil. Nuts and olive oil are a source of "good" fat. Your body needs fat to function, however, the healthy options are those with monounsaturated fatty acids.


Finally, to the right I have two types of fish that I buy frozen. Sockeye Salmon and Cod loins. I prefer wild caught fish even in packaged portions because wild caught fish is less fattier, has no artificial coloring or PCB's, which is a chlorinated compound.

Hope you enjoyed the glimpse inside of my kitchen to see exactly what I eat. What I eat works for me and I am not suggesting that it will work for you. My craving is usually dark chocolate, but I have it at the time of the craving and do not keep it in the house. The key is moderation and eating clean for life. If you need help figuring out what will work for you, I can help. Email me at simply.fitness@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

B said...

Thanks for postign Gail

Unknown said...

Good information..... I really need to take a good look at what foods are in my kitchen.