Saturday, January 22, 2011

Eating Healthy When Out and About


One thing I hear from my clients is there is always a challenge with, “What can I eat that is healthy when I am out?” I suggest to be prepared by having your own food and snacks ready, but I am well aware that life happens and that does not always occur. So what do you do? If you are on the road for your job, need to get lunch while in the office or just out running errands, here are some options:

Boston Market: They have entire meals under 550 calories. Now this may be too much at one sitting depending on the individual and what their goals are, but remember to always add more vegetables and remove potatoes, stuffing, white bread and cornbread from a meal to lower your caloric intake if you need to.

Chipotle: This is my personal favorite. It is a Mexican grill that offers quality food that is committed to providing hormone and antibiotic free meats and produce sourced from local suppliers. They are not around the corner like McDonald’s, but maybe one day they will, while maintaining the integrity of their brand. What I love about this restaurant is that you control what goes into your burrito, taco, and salad or fajita bowl. They offer rice, beans, chicken, beef, fajita vegetables, romaine lettuce, corn, cheese, sour cream, salsa and guacamole. This can either be a really healthy meal or it can turn into a disaster with the cheese and sour cream. I personally stay away from the cheese, sour cream and corn, limit my rice and ask for more vegetables.

Whole Foods, Wegman’s or any other supermarket food bar: Most people forget that there are healthy options at the supermarkets to pick up and take out. There are always great tasting salads with veggies, beans and legumes that you may have never tried before. This is a great way to try some healthy choices and then maybe you will add the ingredients on your next shopping list so that you can make it yourself!

No comments: