Sunday, November 1, 2009

Your Mind is SO Powerful

When it comes to eating, it is known that when trying to lose weight, eating habits are hard to break. All of my weight loss clients struggle with letting go of those favorite foods that seem to mean more to them than the weight they need to lose. Or the portions that are a little out of control or the late night snacks that make them feel better . . . or do they??? When talking to my clients, I find there is some underlying reason why there is a battle with food. I am not a psychologist, but I try to assist the best I can. Usually, when we overeat or what I call mindless eating, it stems from boredom, nervousness or not feeling so good about your self. There can also are times when you are at events or holiday gatherings surrounded by loads of food and you just do not know how to control your self. The key word is control.
I write this entry this week after a conversation with one of my clients. She was recently diagnosed with gallstones and needs to have her gall bladder removed. The subject of food is very applicable because there are certain foods that she cannot eat until the gall bladder is removed. She has to be conscious of what she eats because if not, she will be in searing pain. When we discussed how she has to think about her intake, she realized that once she removed certain items from her diet, she did not miss them nor did she feel any different (ie. hungry) from removing them. She had to think about it, which is what anyone that has a weight loss goal has to do.
When discussing a plan of action for the week with some of my clients, there are those weeks when I hear, “It’s my cycle(menstrual) week, so I know it’s going to be tough.” When you think and say this, you are already setting yourself up for failure and a green light to eat whatever because you think that your body needs something sweet or salty. Granted, this may be the case, but how much do you need?? Your portions can be controlled if you think about it.
As a personal trainer, I can push someone to fitness levels they thought they could not achieve. I also say, if you are going to take the time to exercise to try to make changes in your body, it is not going to happen unless you change how you eat. You can exercise all you want and wonder why is the scale not moving. Aside from any diagnosed health issues, it is probably because you have not changed your eating habits. If that is the case, you have to look inside yourself and ask if the food is more important than your health and what you want your body image to be. It’s your choice, think about it.

1 comment:

l.jackson said...

I know a lady at my PT job who is obese and currently is undergoing treatments for cancer. She's not very active, doesn't sleep at night, and raids the fridge in the wee hours of the morning eating junk food. I made a comment about how her eating habits may've contributed to her illness. Afterwards, one of my co-workers said, "Eating doesn't give you
cancer"! Others in the room seemed to agree with her. Sadly, I thought to myself that most people probably don't see the link between what they put in their mouths and their failing health. If they can't see it or don't (want to) believe it, they won't do anything to change it.