Friday, May 29, 2009

Reasons, Rationalizations . . . Excuses

After reviewing my attendance roster for the current boot camp I am conducting, I felt the need to reach out to each individual that has missed more than 2 consecutive classes. That’s right, I called each individual.
There was good intention when they invested in the entire program. They wanted to come to all classes and I understand things come up. Work deadlines, maybe someone got sick, but when I hear; “someone asked me to do something” or “something came up” then I know the individual is not staying committed to himself or herself.
All you have to do is get to the class and I take care of the rest. Some feedback I have received from participants is once they have completed the workout, they feel better with more energy and they know they have accomplished something positive for their health and well-being.
Prior to the start of the program, I spoke to one participant about the reasons why she needed to get started with some type of fitness. She was unhappy with her weight gain, her lack of energy and how her health was declining. She is borderline hypertensive and knows that adding exercise could help alleviate the issue without medication.
She was one of the individuals that was asked to do something for someone that kept her from coming one week. If you are committed to your health, that person can wait if it is not an emergency. YOU are more important. The class is possibly the one-hour of the week that she wanted to start her fitness journey and now she was letting someone else control it by a simple request. YOU have to control your health and it starts with attending class and coalescing with other boot campers that probably have similar concerns. Then you have to take accountability and find another means of exercising outside of the class.
In my entry dated March 2, 2009, I discuss the role of your thoughts in overcoming barriers. There are many external and internal factors that affect what you do. When it comes to fitness, the external factors of work, friends, family and the internal factors such as lack of motivation, self-sabotage and doubt have to be overcome to push through to keep you going. Exercising in a group environment is social. You know you are not alone while you sweat and complain until you understand and appreciate what and why you are doing it.
I am committed to both my personal training clients and class participants. Meet me half way and I will help you. The first step is being consistent toward a healthier you and stop making excuses.

No comments: